Steel Industry Being Crucified By High Energy Costs, Admits Claire Perry

By Paul Homewood

 

h/t Dennis Ambler

 

From questions in Parliament this week:

 

image

image

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2019-01-07.205863.h&s=climate+change#g205863.r0

 

This rather sums up what a nonsense our energy policy has become.

It is frankly shocking that steel producers, and presumably other energy intensive industries, have been paying twice the price for electricity than competitors in France and Germany. Of course, it must be pointed out that in Germany it is domestic users who end up paying the bill.

Claire Perry’s comment about exemptions from the costs of the Contracts for Difference scheme does not frankly add up to much. CfDs only account for 15% of green levies, so steel producers will still need to pay for the other 85%.

As for £315m being thrown at decarbonisation projects. it is not clear how this will save industry any money at all. More likely it will add to costs unnecessarily.

Meanwhile, it is other electricity users and taxpayers in general who will end up paying for relief packages and exemptions.

Being “committed to minimising energy costs” is one thing. Actually doing something about it is another, which seems to be beyond Claire Perry’s ability.

Would it not have been easier to put a stop to obscene green subsidies in the first place?

via NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW THAT

http://bit.ly/2CinIkk

January 12, 2019 at 05:42AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: