Guest essay by Eric Worrall
If you thought the “Voodoo Science” Himalayan glacier crisis died when its main backer, former IPCC head and alleged sex pest Rajendra Pachauri was forced to resign, think again; the glacier crisis is back.
A third of Himalayan ice cap doomed, finds report
Even radical climate change action won’t save glaciers, endangering 2 billion people
At least a third of the huge ice fields in Asia’s towering mountain chain are doomed to melt due to climate change, according to a landmark report, with serious consequences for almost 2 billion people.
Even if carbon emissions are dramatically and rapidly cut and succeed in limiting global warming to 1.5C, 36% of the glaciers along in the Hindu Kush and Himalaya range will have gone by 2100. If emissions are not cut, the loss soars to two-thirds, the report found.
The glaciers are a critical water store for the 250 million people who live in the Hindu Kush-Himalaya (HKH) region, and 1.65 billion people rely on the great rivers that flow from the peaks into India, Pakistan, China and other nations.
“This is the climate crisis you haven’t heard of,” said Philippus Wester of the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (Icimod), who led the report. “In the best of possible worlds, if we get really ambitious [in tackling climate change], even then we will lose one-third of the glaciers and be in trouble. That for us was the shocking finding.”
The full report is available here.
The organisations behind the glacier crisis report;
- International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) Kathmandu Nepal
- Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies Dhaka Bangladesh
- Ministry of Finance, Government of Nepal Kathmandu Nepal
- International Ecosystem Management Partnership United Nations Environment Programme and Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy, Chinese Academy of Sciences Beijing China
- Central Himalayan Environment Association Nainital India
- Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences Beijing China
Source: Authors and affiliations
No doubt the Chinese Academy of Science authors are right now lobbying President for life Xi Jinping to immediately shut down all Chinese coal stations, to save the Himalayan water catchment.
via Watts Up With That?
February 5, 2019 at 08:04AM