Cold Kills Far More People Than Heat Does Also In England And Wales, Recent ONS Report Finds

Warmer mean temperature led to fewer deaths in England and Wales from 2001 – 2020.

On Wednesday, we reported how cold kills seven times more people in Pune city, India than heat does.

Earlier this year the British Office for National Statistics (ONS) reported that also in England and Wales cold kills more people than heat. Over the past 30 years, the mean temperature for the region has increased by nearly 1°C compared to the prior decades. What affect has this had on mortality? The mildre temperatures are good news, it turns out.

According to the report:

Over a 20-year period the estimated change in deaths associated with warm or cold temperature was a net decrease of 555,094, an average of 27,755 deaths per year (Table 1). A decrease in deaths from outcomes associated with cold temperature greatly outnumbers deaths associated with warm temperature.”

90% of the reduced deaths were attributed to milder winter days. The other 10% were attributed to the warmer summer days.

Source: ONS

Warmer summer days were found to be associated with more outdoor activity, which leads to a “net increase in hospital admissions”…”especially from injuries”.  The report also says “direct harm from extreme heat is still less common, but is likely to change over time.”

In summary, the less harsh winters in England and Wales have saved some half a million lives over the 20-year period.

Hat-tip: Klimaschau 109

Donate – choose an amount

via NoTricksZone

https://ift.tt/txyA6Nd

April 29, 2022 at 11:51AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s