‘More wind, more solar, more nuclear’, says Kwasi Kwarteng – costing how much?

Offshore wind project in North Wales [image credit: northwales.com]

Even more expensive electricity, in pursuit of mythical net zero targets. The planned 25% contribution of nuclear power doesn’t give much confidence about where the other 75% should come from when it’s dark and not windy. Why the claimed ‘cheap renewables’ need not-cheap subsidies is not explained, and hydrogen isn’t cheap either.
– – –
The Energy Security Strategy announced by government just under a fortnight ago “provides a clear, long-term plan to accelerate [the UK’s] transition away from expensive fossil fuel prices set by global markets [it] cannot control.”

That’s according to Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng, who delivered a speech explaining his views on the new strategy and how he believes it can help shift the British energy market, reports Energy Live News.

“More wind, more solar, more nuclear – while also using North Sea gas to transition to cheaper and cleaner power,” was his succinct summary of the new strategy.

Rising energy prices have made fears of fuel poverty a sad reality for many households in the UK.

Mr Kwarteng responded to these worries, stating that a £200 energy bill discount will be in place this October, the Warm Home Discount will offer three million low-income households with a £150 rebate in the winter and that the price cap is “still protecting millions of consumers” from even higher gas prices.

He explained that “cheap renewables” are the answer to these high prices and that the new strategy sets out how 95% of the UK’s electricity will be produced by low carbon means by the end of the decade.

“It will increase the pace of deployment to deliver 50GW by 2030 instead of the 40 committed to in the manifesto – and of that 50GW, up to 5GW will be floating offshore wind,” he remarked.

The government’s position on nuclear was irrefutable, with the Business Secretary simply stating, “we will be reversing decades of under-investment and we will be building back British nuclear”.

By 2050, the strategy reveals the aim of delivering 24GW of nuclear power, to make up 25% of the country’s estimated energy demand.

Hydrogen was the final part of the strategy that Mr Kwarteng spoke on: “The capacity we aim to reach by 2030 is 10GW, with at least half of this total coming from green hydrogen.”

Full report here.

via Tallbloke’s Talkshop


April 21, 2022 at 04:39AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s